Although, abound of spotting scopes are available on the market, however, there aren’t many spotting scopes that meet the need for military use, since military (because of their job nature) requires robust, high power, and shockproof spotting scopes.
At this point, you may wonder what spotting scope does the military use. And here is my answer,
Since militaries (in various countries) use spotting scopes for target shooting and object viewing, the best spotting scopes are,
- Vortex Viper HD 20-60X85 angled spotting scope with helical focus.
- Leupold Mark 4 20-60×80
- Burris Signature HD 20-60×85
Done with the answer? No! —- You need to know why these spotting scopes are best for military use and what specialities these spotting scopes beholds.
Let’s get involved in a discussion,
Military spotting scopes for targeting shooting
1. Vortex Viper HD 20-60X85 Angled Spotting Scope
- The Viper HD 20-60x85 Angled Spotting Scope is packed with features for incredible glassing and high end optical performance.
- The HD optical system comprised of premium components generates vivid high-definition images. XR anti-reflective coatings on exterior surfaces help obtain brighter views in low-light situations.
Vortex viper is preferred for military use, as it offers significant magnification power up to 60x and an objective lens diameter of 85mm, which means it captures more light and gives a clear view even in low light conditions.
The high magnification power is a true companion for the military allowing them to view objects at a far distance as well as the diameter ensures a clear bright view.
Vortex Viper offers an unwavering Ultra-sharp HD quality imagery, especially in low light conditions, which makes it a great deal for military applications.
Apart, Viper HD is portable and robust as well. The ArmorTek lens coating keeps the lens safe and secure (abrasion-free) even in tough conditions. It is an external ultra-hard coating that protects the lens in rough conditions from debris, scratches, dirt, and anything that could damage it.
All and all, Vortex Viper has nailed it and surely is among our top picks for military use.
- It offers excellent ultra-sharp HD image quality
- Military can use it even in low light conditions,
- It comes with a helical focus that ensures fast and fine adjustments
- It also has a rotating tripod collar and a built-in sunshade.
2. Leopold Mark 4 20-60×80 Spotting Scope
- Model #53756 - Mark 4 12-40x60mm Spotting Scope with Mil Dot Reticle
- Leupold’s Professional-Grade Optical System offers unmatched light transmission that’s designed to outperform in the most challenging lighting conditions, industry-leading glare reduction for a clear image in harsh, direct light, and the resolution and clarity that professional guides and hunters demand in the field
If I say Leupold Mark is military’s favourite then please accept it because IT IS (for a number of reasons).
Leupold Mark 4 comes with either Mil-dot or Tactical Milling Reticle (TMR). As far as the TMR is concerned, it takes accuracy to the next level. Instead of dot pointing the object, it has hash marks for both bullet drop and wind compensation. That’s something unique. Isn’t it?
However, mil-dot designs are military-specific. They are used for making the right estimation, thus making spotting scopes suitable for tactical purposes.
When it comes to the optic quality, this Leupold Mark 4 has an amazing extended twilight lens system which intends to maximize light waves of red and blue colour during low-light hours.
It comes only in straight shape and has a magnification power up to 60x with an objective lens diameter of 80mm.
The Diamondcoat 2 technology adds an abrasion-resistant feature to it, making it one of the robust spotting scopes.
All the above specifications make it a perfect choice for military use.
- Mil-dot reticle spotting scope
- Wind and bullet drop compensation
- It comes with exceptional optical & build quality
- 30mm extended eye relief
3. Burris Signature HD 20-60×85 Spotting Scope
- Built-in sun shade reduces glare and protects the objective lens from rain and snow
- Both coarse and fine focusing adjustment are possible with the forward mounted focus knob
One characteristic that sets Burris Signature HD apart from all of its competitors is its ultra-sharp HD image quality with an included eyepiece.
Burris has HD image quality due to its APO lens and the technology of index-matched lenses.
Although, Leupold also shares the same lens’ features, however, Burris Signature has an included 20-60x eyepiece, which is something you won’t want to miss out. In addition, you can also separately purchase reticle eyepiece, depending on your need.
This can easily cement its place for military use as the military requires sharp image quality spotting scope for target identification.
- An exceptional high-end optic with supreme HD quality – unmatchable.
- Provides FastFire attachment with two mounting points on the scope.
- Fully weatherproof due to Die-cast magnesium housing with durable rubber armour.
- Dual focusing system
Spotting scopes used by us military
Leupold Mark 4 20-60×80 and M151 spotting scope are the two most prominent spotting scope models used by various militaries.
Since I have already discussed the Leupold mark 4 model, it’s time for the M151 spotting scope.
M151 has 12-40x magnification power and 60mm objective lens diameter and thus enables US security agencies to identify the target at a long distance.
M151 scopes are compact, lightweight and powerful to carry in rough conditions. On top of that, it comes with a night vision adaptor that can be attached to the spotting scopes eyepiece, making it night-vision friendly.
Military spotting scopes summary
Spotting scopes for military purposes must have high magnification power, significant objective lens diameter, and should provide an HD quality result.
Vortex Viper provides some scintillating features to reckon with. Such as their ability to bear extreme conditions, plus the image quality of Vortex Viper is top-notch.
On the other hand, we have Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope. Its Mil-dot & Tactical Milling reticle features make it unmatchable in its class. It also provides 30 mm extended eye relief – which is gold.
Talking Burris Signature HD spotting scope, it provides Ultra-sharp HD image quality and has a dual focusing system.
The point is to use whichever serves the purpose best for you and is within your price range. Although all of them can be used for general military purposes, but for specific applications, you can even go in further details.
Image credit: Lunde studio
Last update on 2022-09-28 at 05:59 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API