Whether you are looking for the best elk hunting binoculars or you are in search of the best binoculars for deer hunting, this guide will help you alike.
In this guide, I have discussed the best tips and tricks you need to successfully hunt an elk, how to buy a hunting bino pair on a budget, gears and important accessories for elk hunting, best seasons for deer and elk hunting and much more. But first, let’s consider this question: what are the best binoculars for elk hunting?
Quick Answer: Best elk hunting binoculars list
Here is a video guide on hunting elks successfully in the early season
How to Choose the best binoculars for elk hunting?
No one wants to waste money and time on a useless tool. And the above list is made considering all the aspects which are necessary before picking up the right pair of binoculars. The features which were given thorough consideration in the making of this list are:
- Magnification capacity
- Weight and design
- Waterproof capability
- User reviews
- Price range
Still can’t decide which of them will serve hunting purpose best? Then let’s review our best elk and deer hunting binoculars for 2023 and their specifications in detail!
Top 8 Best Elk Hunting Binoculars Reviews
#1 Nikon Monarch 5 Binocular – Best Hunting Binoculars under $300
Whenever we hear the word Nikon, the first thing that pops up in our mind is their marvellous cameras. Nikon is known for its high-quality lenses, and lenses are crucial in choosing among the numerous hunting binoculars.
- All Monarch 5 binoculars are now built with Nikon’s premium ED (Extra-low dispersion); Glass for a sharper, clearer and more brilliant field of view.
- Almost an ounce lighter than its predecessor, the new Monarch 5 is even easier to bring along on your next adventure.
There is no doubt about the quality of the lens used in MONARCH 5 binoculars as it comes with a diameter of 42mm. You will be able to watch up to 288ft, conveniently. The field of view is not constrained to 288ft, as you can zoom 10x using the focus knob.
Nikon MONARCH is a very handy pair of binoculars that are so easy to take along while chasing elks. The rubber grip ensures that you never overlook the ups and downs in your way and don’t miss your fast-moving target.
Based on user reviews and field tests, Nikon MONARCH holds a strong position in my list of best elk-hunting binoculars. You will never face any trouble during hunting, as this pair will be your ultimate guard.
- 42mm lens, certifying a crystal clear view of the field.
- Linear view of 288ft along with 10x magnification.
- Lightweight, easy to carry and waterproof.
- Strong rubber grip empowering you to be a pro at hunting.
- HD imagery
- Large field of view
- Strong grip
- Zooming up to 10x
- Nothing specific
Interested in tripods? Read my reviews of top tripods for binoculars.
- E2ES System – E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
- ED Glass – ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
Elk hunting will take you to the roughest topographies and will test your running speed and patience alike. This Athlon Cronus binocular is known as the king (as its name also indicates) in the optics field.
Due to Cronus binocular’s unique E2ES flattering (edge to edge sharpening) system, the final imagery become coherent, sharp, vivid, and aberration-free. No worries if your target elk is running at a fast pace, with this image sharpening technology you can quickly spot and shoot the frisky being.
This Cronus rooftop binocular is a full-sized binocular with 42mm large lenses and 10x magnification.
For successful hunts, having a top-notch binocular is unavoidable. Your investment will go in vain if the final imagery is blurry. But, that’s not the case with Athlon Cronus binocular. Its ESP dielectric prism coating will provide you with a nicely differentiated UHD imagery.
Cronus binocular’s lenses are made up of extra-low dispersion glass which reduces light scattering and repels the FCC (false-colour composite) which is produced from this scattered light.
Since lenses are the most delicate part of binoculars and they easily get damaged, Athlon optics has brought a solution for that too. The glasses are covered with XPL outer coating which wards off the abrasive particles and maintains their shine.
Small mishaps always happen during exotic elk hunts, and your binoculars might collide or fall over a hard surface. To assure you that your money is going to a safe place, Athlon offers a lifetime warranty for this Cronus binocular. You can claim a repair and get your binos repaired without any hassle.
In short, if you have plans to go for elk hunting every year, then be smart and make a wise investment. This Cronus binocular is a mid-priced and offers brilliant features for elk hunting. Cronus binocular might look expensive than its competitors, but its features will ultimately justify the price. Also, the lifetime warranty means you need not worry about potential damages because Athlon takes pride in the making is customers satisfied.
- Cronus rooftop binoculars are full-sized, i.e., 10×42 to facilitate the hunters
- ESP dielectric prism coating removes chromatic fringes and makes the imagery brighter
- Lenses are protected with an XPL outer coating
- The movable eyecups will let you adjust your focus instantly
- The lens cups are fully argon purged
- Magnesium chassis makes it a sturdy and ergonomic binocular
- 10×42 magnification
- 3mm eye relief
- 6ft. close focus distance
- E2ES flattering technology
- Fully argon purged
- Slightly heavy
Do you own binoculars tripod? You would probably need an adapter too! Read my reviews of the best tripod adapters for binoculars.
#3 Vortex Optics Diamondback – Cheap Elk Hunting Binocular
Getting hands-on low price binoculars is no big deal now. As vortex optics are veterans in their field, they always keep experimenting with new features and additions in binoculars.
The best deer hunting binoculars, come to you with a diameter of 42mm which you can enhance to 8x.
Elk hunting demands a lot of time and patience. If you are waiting quietly for elk to enter in your shooting zone, then this is just for you. With a field of view 1000 yards, there is no probability that you will miss your target.
- 8x magnification and 42mm objective lenses, these Diamondback binoculars are the workhorse of Vortex lineup; known for impressive optical quality and durability.
- Dielectric, fully multi-coated lenses transmit more light and clearer, brighter images. A field of view that is one of the largest in its class helps you efficiently glass your surroundings and identify your target.
Vortex binoculars don’t drain a lot of your money, but they still provide you with up to the mark technology. These HD binoculars will be a great investment in your hunting kit for a long time.
- Resistant rubber handles which won’t let you lose your hands.
- Waterproof aluminium body which will not become a burden during your
- Multi-coloured outer coat emphasises on HD quality images, equipping you with a thorough sight of the field.
- Low yet a great investment
- Great field of view
- HD images
- Low price
- Shock resistant
- Durable and usable
- 1-year warranty
- No specific cons
#4 Vanguard Endeavor Binoculars – Best Deer Hunting Binocular
Are you fond of playing around with deers and want to catch up with their agility and speed? Then planning a deer and elk hunting vacation with your friends will prove to be a cherry on top.
With a 340ft wide field of view at 1000 yards and 10×42 magnification, it’s one of my favourites among powerful binoculars for elk hunting.
- Extra low dispersion (ED) glass provides exceptional detail and brilliant colors. Advanced multiguard coatings for higher light transmittance even in low light
- Three stage twist out eyecups with long eye relief, locking diopter ring and lightweight, open bridge body design with large, precise focus wheel
To make hunting interesting and successful this Vanguard Endeavour binocular will be the ultimate solution. With a protective covering, rubber grip and central focusing knob, vanguard binoculars will be your best choice.
Elk hunting can be time taking and also drains much energy. Obviously, we cannot change their natural habitat, but what we can do is equip ourselves with all the essential tools. These vanguard binoculars will double the fun of hunting for sure!
- Multi-coloured glass which minimises colour dispersion and gives you a bright and clear view.
- Light in weight, the rubber covering reduces the chances of losing focus while moving around.
- Water and fog proof which indicates that these are specifically designed for hunting expeditions.
- Field of view 340ft and magnification can be increased 10x conveniently with the central focusing knob.
- Large lens diameter
- Wide linear field of view
- Minimum colour dispersion
- No significant cons found
Looking for affordable binoculars?? Read my top recommended hunting binoculars on a budget.
#5 Vortex Optics Vulture HD Binoculars – Best Elk Hunting Binocular Under $500
Vortex Optics has come up with some astonishing pairs of binoculars which are both cost-effective and easy to use.
Vulture HD binoculars are one of its kind, with sharp-edged and multicoated lenses which give you a clear view of hunting range.
- 15x magnification and 56mm objective lenses, the Vulture HD uses high density extra-low dispersion glass and XR fully multi-coated lenses, you get super bright images that are sharp and clear from edge to edge.
- Rugged, rubber armor and ultra-hard, scratch resistant armortek coating on all exterior lenses creates a durable binocular able to withstand any conditions.
Running behind an elk on sloppy mountains means that you must be aware of the unexpected slips and falls. In this type of situations, only vortex optics vulture HD binoculars will save you. The rubber covering ensures that you never lose your grip from your binoculars, indicating the success of your aim.
Delicate binoculars are simply useless. And if you want to invest your money just for once in buying an all-in-one package, then vortex optics vulture HD binoculars should be your ultimate choice. With great magnification power and HD images, your money will be going to an awesome hunting essential.
Here are some features which give vulture HD binoculars a distinct position among others:
- The diameter of 56mm, letting more light pass to your eyes
- Up to 15x increase in magnification
- HD images with multicoated lenses
- Sturdy design, easy to carry during hunting
- Water and fog proof, implying great usability
- HD view
- Large lenses
- Durable outer coating
- Easy to carry around
- Slightly heavy
#6 Carson 3D HD Binoculars – Best 10×42 Hunting Binoculars under $400
This camouflaged pair of binoculars is nothing less than a treat during hunting. You can easily watch up to 314 feet while sitting quietly in search of an elk or running behind him.
The Carson 3D HD binoculars are designed specifically for hunters i.e. to aid them in exact aiming at elk. Also, these binoculars have the diameter of 42mm, and the magnification power can be increased 10 times more.
- ED Glass for Sharper and Brighter Images | Magnification: 10x Power | Objective Lens Diameter: 42mm
- Included with Carry Case, Neck Strap, Shoulder Harness, Lens Covers and Lens Cloth
Taking all the necessary tools with you on a hunting trip can make your tour memorable and a lot more interesting. If you are an enthusiast about making a travel kit on one theme, then these camouflaged Carson high-tech binoculars are made just for you.
Go on sloppy mountains and in dense forests without worrying about dark, rain and fog because you will be carrying the solution with you.
- Camouflaged design, made specially to quench the thirst of hunters.
- Light in weight, the shoulder and neck strap makes it easy to carry.
- 10x magnification available in times of difficult targets.
- HD quality view with enhanced brightness.
- Water, fog and haze proof.
- HD views
- 42mm diameter of a glass
- FOV of 314ft
- Detachable neck and shoulder straps
#7 Nikon Prostaff 7s Binocular – Best Binoculars for Deer Hunting
The nice camouflaged binoculars enhance the fun and zest of elk/deer hunting. However, these Nikon ProStaff binoculars Nikon ProStaff binoculars are not confined to beautiful design only. The amazing colour coating on the lens will give you vibrant imagery focusing on the minute details.
You can check the size and speed of a running elk/deer without any hassle. The large linear FOV is a significant factor of hunting binoculars, and Nikon always focuses on it.
- Whether you’re looking at wildlife or scenery, 2 things are important: color and clarity The PROSTAFF 7S brings you both, thanks to Fully Multilayer Coated lenses and Phase Correction Coated Roof Prisms
- Even eyeglass wearers will enjoy looking through the PROSTAFF 7S The turn and slide rubber eyecups allow anyone to adjust the space between their eye and the binocular’s eyepiece, ensuring a full field of view
Coming with a large lens and that too a colour-coated one, Nikon has brought an astonishing tool for elk/deer hunting. You must try this pair, as it is tested by many and has many positive customer reviews on its credit.
- 42mm large lens will assist you in getting an overview of the hunting field.
- The focusing knob can enhance the clarity of view instantly.
- No colour dispersion and a bright depiction of the surrounding.
- Light and easy to carry around while camping and hunting.
- Waterproof and stress-resistant
- Detachable straps
- Colour coated lens
- Medium-sized, not so big not so small
- No specific issue
#8 Celestron 10×42 Binocular – Best Binoculars for Colorado Elk Hunting
The metallic focus knob and handy design give Celestron binoculars a special place in my list of best elk hunting binoculars. What do you check first when you buy binoculars? We are sure you check the field of view etc.
However larger FOV does not certify that the product is best amongst all. The thing that matters the most is for how much distance you can see precisely.
- Fully Multi-Coated for enhanced light transmission
- BaK-4 Prisms with High Reflectivity and Vivid Colors
These Celestron binoculars fulfil the checklist of good binoculars thoroughly. From accuracy to resistance, everything is perfect.
Buying handy binoculars is not trouble anymore. Celestron binoculars have got your back, just invest a little and be free from the stress of taking care of fragile binoculars as this pair is completely stress-resistant.
- 42mm large lens with minimum colour reflection and dispersion.
- Magnifies up to 10x, allowing you to aim directly at elk.
- Lightweight and convenient to carry.
- An outer covering for body and lens separately.
- Accurate focus
- No color dispersion
- Easy to carry
- Stress resistance
- Nothing specific
Elk and deer hunting seasons
Elks and deer are most probably the swiftest targets who can run away from your range within a minute. If you are a passionate hunter, then learning about the elk and deer hunting season is a necessity for you.
In most part of the United States, hunting season ranges from August to January. However, it varies in all states.
In Texas, you can hunt elks throughout the year, while in Colorado the hunting season is limited from August to November.
The hunting season also depends on the type of weapon being used. Mostly archery is allowed throughout the season, but rifle and mouser shooting are limited.
Below is a thorough description of hunting season in the top 3 states.
When is elk hunting season in Colorado?
In Colorado, hunting season is divided on the basis of weaponry which the hunters use. Elks can be hunted down using archery during the months of August and September. Strictly speaking, from August 31 – September 29 is the time when you can hunt elks in Colorado using archery.
Similarly, if you have plans to use the rifle to hunt elks then you have a very short span to do this. Rifle elk hunting is allowed from October 12 to October 16.
But, if your desire is to hunt both i.e. elks and deer, then you can use refiles from October 10 to November 17.
Arizona elk hunting seasons 2023
Elks and deer are from the same species but they have gained some disparities with time. In Arizona, elks started to grow more than deer, which put the latter in danger.
To avoid this situation, in 2013 Arizona government legalized elk hunting and started giving over-the-counter archery licenses to hunters.
This promoted elk hunting in Arizona, and hunters from across the country started heading towards Arizona to get their trophy.
Hunting season is open round the year but the most valued season is from April 1 to July 31. Hunting of male bulls is allowed during this season, which is the most preferred by elk hunters.
West Texas elk hunting
West Texas has the largest population of elks. The small mountain ranges on the western side of Texas has a large number of rocky mountain elks. It is estimated that elks have covered almost 500,000 acres of land in west Texas alone (in whole Texas state, this area is 1.6 million acres). Which makes it one of the most suitable places for elk hunters.
Another benefit of elk hunting in Texas is that the season is open round the year. You just need a hunting license and a legalized weapon to hunt an elk down and bring the trophy home.
However, most hunting experts suggest that the best time for elk hunting in Texas is from August to January. It is the peak time of year when you can easily find an elk by stalking its bugling sound (bugle is the loud voice male elks produce in the morning).
The most abundant elks in Texas are the Rocky Mountain elks. They have a shabby neck and their height ranges from 4 feet to 5 feet. But, you can also see whitetail deer in Texas seldom.
Elk hunting tips for beginners
Hunting is not limited to a specific type of physical landscape. A friend might invite you over a venture to hunt down a grizzly bear, or you may decide to chase the frisky whitetail deer in Texas.
Before buying binoculars you must bear this in mind that hunts in each environment are different. Waiting for turkeys to show in wide plain areas requires patience while matching the pace of elks in mountainous regions requires speed.
Your binoculars must be able to fit in all situations. Either you lazily sit down and wait for turkeys or bighorn sheep, or you just pull your socks up and run behind the difficult target, your binos must assist you in all situations.
Lightweight, small, HD imagery, amazing collimation, ergonomic design and portability, these are a few prime features you must remember before making a decision.
If you will get a pair with all these essential features, then your hunt will be a success in all landscapes. From vast plains to the Rocky Mountains, and from coastal plains to canyons, you will be at ease after buying a good pair of binoculars.
How to hunt elk and deer on a budget?
Successfully hunting within a confined budget is a great achievement. It will motivate you to repeat this extreme venture again in the next season. Here are a few things you must remember to hunt elks/deer on a budget.
- Get a free USGS map of the area in which you are strolling, it will tell you about the elk and deer sanctuaries.
- Cut the hotel expenses and drive straight to your hunting location.
- Buy a good and pair of binoculars and weaponry. Either you will use a rifle or archery, you must have a license for both.
- The hunting licences are available over-the-counter which means you can get one from the local forest department when you visit them.
- Go out in the season when you can hunt both i.e. elks and deer. It will save your tag money.
- Avoid jeeps and take strolls around the jungle (be physically fit for that first).
Accessories & gears needed for hunting
Following are a few accessories which will add to your delight of using binoculars:
- Padded binocular cases keep them safe and protect them from scratches (these are common when you are a hunter). You may drop your back-pack or may collide against a surface, if your binocular case is padded, the delicate lenses will always be safe.
- Rain Guard in another important accessory you should buy along with your hunting bino. A rain guard is a circular covering you can use to close your lenses during rainfall. If you are out on an extreme venture and face heavy rainfall, just close your lens rain guards and continue the venture.
- The strap gives you the comfort to easily carry your binos with you. Obviously, you will not be using your binoculars all the time, and taking them out of your backpack every time you need them is also a hassle. That’s why straps are there to comfort you. You can hang your binoculars around your neck or can tie them at your arm, and just lift and adjust them when you want to get a good look of your desired object.
- A good tripod and tripod mount will help you get a stabilized image of your target object.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the best elk hunting binoculars for eyeglass wearers?
Ans: Hunting is equally exhausting and exhilarating for all, but the glasses-wearers have to bear a little extra trouble.
Their glasses frame may become a hindrance in their way, particularly when it’s extremely hot, the sweat starts accumulating on the sides and in front of glasses.
They have to strive for adjusting the space between their eyes and the lens cups.
If you wear glasses and are planning to go out for an elk hunt expedition, then be ready for these little troubles, my friend.
But, you can take a step ahead by picking up a pair of binoculars which offer a good eye-relief distance.
For those who don’t know: Eye relief is the distance you can retain between your eye and your binoculars’’ lens cups.
Most good binos have an eye relief distance of 15-20 mm which is good enough for adjusting your glasses.
Good binoculars for eyeglass wearers offer the eye-relief distance of 15mm and more. You can keep your eyes 15mm away from eyecups of your binos, but will still see great imagery. If you wear glasses, I highly recommend you Wingspan Optics Widefield of View binoculars, then.
A thing to be remembered:
Even if you don’t wear glasses, you should check the eye-relief distance of your binos beforehand. Because sunglasses are almost obligatory for hunters. You won’t be able to bear sunlight on a bright day without your sunglasses.
Large eyecups are a plus point for glasses wearers as they can easily adjust the glasses frame with such eyecups.
Q. What are the essentials for elk and deer hunting?
Ans: First-time hunters often end up packing a lot of stuff which becomes a burdensome for them later on.
You should make a checklist of the most important things and only take them with you.
For hunters, these are the must-haves:
- A sharp knife
- Compact first-aid kit
- Food (packed food should be preferred)
- Dry ice (for storing the meat of your target)
- Sleeping bag or a camp
- A very comfortable pair of boots
- Archery or rifle (whichever you prefer)
- Range finder
- Parachute cord etc.
Best elk hunting binoculars summary
The list of best binoculars for elk hunting is finalized after vigorous research including customer reviews and numerous tests. All of them fit in the category of best elk hunting binoculars. However, the only difference that arises is in precision, accuracy and price.
Nikon Monarch 5 is an all-in-one package. It covers HD imagery, wide FOV, and has got a good lens diameter.
If you want to make lifetime investment considering your hunting passion, then Vanguard Endeavor ED binocular is the best bet.
Vortex Optics Diamondback binoculars are for those who are looking for remarkable binoculars at a fairly affordable price tag. Throw away the worries as this pair will sort out your troubles thoroughly.
I am summing this up and hoping that you will find your desirable hunting binoculars now.
An optics enthusiast – I love bird watching as well as wildlife. Originally from South Africa, I moved to the UK at a young age. I love reviewing the latest binoculars as well as traveling. I work as a comms consultant during the day. My plan is to travel across the world so building up to that goal.
Last update on 2024-02-12 at 23:46 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API