The hunting season is back and you have planned a trip to Yellowstone national park, to view the mesmerizing views and accepting the challenge of hunting down a grizzly bear or those frisky elks. Am I right? Because that’s what you are supposed to do.
Instead of wasting the beautiful spring season while lying on the couch, you must get a back-pack ready, buy the best binocular for western hunting or Yellowstone national park and move out to hunt down the speedy wild animals. Take your friends and family along and make the season memorable.
We all know, the USA has some beautiful landscape features, and wild animals alongside, the states like Idaho, Montana and Oregon are said to be ideal ones for passionate hunters.
Which is your favoured amongst these? The vast plains of Montana or the endless mountain ranges of Idaho? Or possibly the most rugged cliffs of Oregon? Because whichever of these is your next hunting destination, you better brace yourself for some unexpected challenges.
What are the things you must plan before heading out for a hunting expedition?
Planning and buying the right gadgets, of course.
Binoculars being the top amongst the gadgets for hunting. I am going to compile a list of 6 best binoculars for western hunting and Yellowstone, if you will bear with me you’ll learn the ways to make sure you don’t miss out the actual fun of your hunting venture.
Top 6 Best Binoculars Picks for Western Hunting & Yellowstone:
- Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Roof Prism Binocular – a Bushnell product stuffed with all indispensable features and at a good price.
- Vanguard Endeavor ED 10×42 Binocular – if you are fond of buying sleek and sophisticated products, then this a good option for you.
- Nikon MONARCH 5 8×42 Binocular – amazing features with this price are hard to find and Nikon has provided you with a great option in the form of its Monarch series.
- Vortex Optics Diamondback Binoculars – staunch and portable binoculars, which will never let you face a backlash during your hunt.
- Vortex Optics Viper HD Binoculars – crisp clear imagery and beautifully collimated prisms, a win-win situation for you.
- Gosky HD Roof Prism 10×42 Binoculars – got a limited budget? Pick this pair and enjoy your venture like a pro.
How is this list compiled?
Picking up 6 best binoculars for western hunting and Yellowstone isn’t something we can take lightly. Rather thorough research was done before compiling this list and a criterion was set for choosing these products.
Following are a few noteworthy features which paved way for these products in my list of 6 best binoculars for western hunting and Yellowstone national park.
- Weather resistance
- Company ranking
- Weight and size
Our Best Tips for Western Hunters
Since you read this article because you were searching for a great pair of hunting binoculars, here are a few tips which I would like to share with you regarding your binoculars.
1. Get Yourself a Hunter’s License
If you do not want to be summoned by the court after hunting a bear, then get yourself a hunting/shooting license. Because many a time hunters do not know that hunting of a certain animal is prohibited.
Therefore to avoid any backlash and to thoroughly enjoy your experience, get a license and thoroughly study about the animals you can hunt down in the state you have planned to visit.
2. Be Ready for the Unexpected
Stalking and running behind the target is not an easy breezy job. You better be prepared for a few setbacks. Falls, slips and collisions are common during hunting. Always wear your binos around your neck so that you don’t lose them in dense forests or in cliffs.
3. Agility is the Key
If you think that you can relax during your hunting expedition, then my friend you are wrong. Because you cannot predict the behaviour of wildlife. One minute they are calm, the next minute they can create chaos. Therefore you should be agile and frisky in your actions. If you feel the slightest amount of danger, run for your life.
Best Western Hunting Binocular Reviews
1. Bushnell Legend Roof Prism Binocular
What hunters must prioritize while buying binoculars is definitely their durability. Those fragile lenses and slippery bodies of binos are not going to help you in any way. This Bushnell masterpiece is an all-in-one package which you can use for extended periods and you will not end up getting dizzy, all thanks to their perfectly collimated prisms.
- Rain guard HD water repellent lens coating
- Lightweight, magnesium chassis
Bushnell takes pride in making their binoculars eye-catching and usable at the same time. These legend ultra HD roof prism binoculars come in a very sleek shape which makes them attractive.
However, they are not just confined to be a beautiful pair of binoculars, because the features they offer are something incredible. From having an extra dispersion ED glass to a huge field of view, Bushnell has decorated this pair with all essentials.
Customer satisfaction is one of the top concerns of Bushnell, and these binoculars are an example of that. The lifetime warranty is something which makes these binoculars stand out from the crowd.
Hunters often face rough-tough situations where there are fair chances of their binoculars getting damaged, therefore the lifetime warranty is there to cover those losses.
Double-vision and de-collimation are the two main discrepancies binoculars face, the former occurs due to a long period of viewing through binoculars while the latter occurs due to miss-handling.
However, with these Bushnell ultra HD binoculars, both problems are already eradicated. The binos are made durable enough that they won’t lose collimation even after mishandling. And the lenses are designed in such a way that they don’t leave a strain on your eyes.
Best Binocular Pair for Deer and Elk Hunting
Turkey Hunting Tips and Top Binoculars
- Extra-low dispersion (ED) fluorite glass is the most distinct feature of these binoculars. Which not only provides amazing colour contrasting and brings out the brightest images, but also remove the colour aberrations which arise as a result of small hurdles present in the way of light.
- 10×42 magnification will give you an upper hand against the fast-moving target, you can observe its movement from afar and can get its close image, simultaneously.
- The lens size in these Bushnell binoculars is 40mm, which is good enough for hunters. You will receive bright and crisp imagery with this lens size.
- The water repellent lens coating will keep your binoculars protected during heavy rainfall. Similarly, you can see the polar bear during extensive snowfall, all thanks to the water repellent lens coatings.
- Although the field of view is not specified in these binoculars, they are great for hunters.
- The eye-relief distance is one additional perk for enthusiast hunters who spend hours and hours while observing the movement pattern of their target.
- These binoculars are made light-weight and easy to carry so that they don’t become a liability for you during wild conditions and maintain their status of being a helping hand for you.
If your wish is to buy binoculars which will actually help you in shooting and will double the fun of your endeavour of chasing your target, then do not miss out these Bushnell ultra HD roof prism binoculars at any cost.
2. Vanguard Endeavor ED 10×42 Binocular
These Vanguard binoculars have a distinct place in my list of 6 best binoculars for western hunting. The reason for this distinction is the well sorted-out and amazing features these binos have.
This was already expected from Vanguard, to come up with a marvellous pair of binoculars. Their perfection in making optics, tripods, bags and other gadgets is something no one can doubt on.
- Extra low dispersion (ED) glass provides exceptional detail and brilliant colors. Advanced multiguard coatings for higher light transmittance even in low light
- Three stage twist out eyecups with long eye relief, locking diopter ring and lightweight, open bridge body design with large, precise focus wheel
From an amazing magnification power to the multi-coated prisms everything is stuffed in this pair and that too with great precision and accuracy.
The feature which is top amongst all is that diopters in this pair are lockable, confused? Well, don’t be, let me explain this feature to you.
Have you ever strived while focusing on the desired point because you were constantly moving and ended up missing your prey? Believe me, I know that it’s the most patience-testing moment for hunters.
But, Vanguard has already taken a step ahead and came up with this lockable diopter feature. With this feature, you can lock the lenses once you have focused on a point.
You can keep moving after locking the view and will not miss your target. Sounds great, right?
The extra low dispersion glass and multi-coated lenses will give you amazingly bright imagery, even in low light conditions.
Be it the dawn or the dusk, you will always get crisp clear imagery.
Moisture is known as an enemy of optics, and this statement is true by all means. Even after you dry your lenses (better avoid blowing on them), there is some amount of moisture left in there which start attracting dust and pollens. And this dilemma may lead your binoculars to be rusty, in other words useless.
These Vanguard Endeavour binoculars are 100% water and fog proof, giving your binoculars a sense of protection (from the enemy).
Do you know what benefits an ergonomic design gives you, it enables you to carry and hold your binoculars comfortably, without making you think that what troublesome you have bought (it happens when you end up with a heavy or even worse a fragile pair of binoculars).
The shape and weight of this pair are made while considering the rugged topographies you will be crossing during your tour to Oregon, and the rainfall you’ll face in Arizona.
- These binoculars have lockable diopters, once you focus on an object, you will be freed from the bothersome of focusing again and again (happens when you are constantly walking or running). Pick a target, focus on it and never miss out any of its movement, that’s what lockable diopters do.
- A wide field of view (FOW) of 340ft makes these binoculars a perfect fit for western hunters. They can maintain the “safety first” rule and can hunt their target down simultaneously.
- There is no electricity system in the forests, right? The only source of light is the sun, and once its brightness starts decreasing you will have to strive to be safe and stalk your target. These Vanguard Endeavour binoculars provide you with a beautifully contrasted and crystal clear imagery even in low light conditions.
- The Bak-4 prisms maintain their collimation, saving you the hassle of re-collimation repeatedly.
Ergonomic design, marvellous magnification power, wide FOW, and brilliant colour differentiation, these features are enough to make Vanguard binoculars stand out and prove that the money you will be spending on them is worth it!
3. Nikon MONARCH 5 Binocular
When it comes to optics, Nikon is always at the top of their game. Bringing for you the most affordable yet tremendous pairs of binos is always on Nikon’s credit, the very reason their customers never regret their decision of trusting Nikon.
These Nikon Monarch binoculars are no exception, they are a full package for hunters. Offering the brightest imagery, a very comfortable eye-relief distance, catchy and athletic outer look, terrific magnification and many more, the features of these binos are numerous.
- All Monarch 5 binoculars are now built with Nikon’s premium ED (Extra low dispersion); Glass for a sharper, clearer and more brilliant field of view
- Almost an ounce lighter than its predecessor, the new Monarch 5 is even easier to bring along on your next adventure
If you are a hunter (either newbie or experienced) then you should get this clear in your mind while hunting, the 2nd most important thing for you is your binoculars (after your gun obviously).
There is no need to run endlessly and take some risks just to get a glimpse of the grizzly bear or the deer you are following.
Instead, you can plan smartly and can save all the chaos of running and hiding. The best gift you can give to yourself for this purpose is none other than these Nikon Monarch binoculars.
Buy these binoculars, read the manual (just in case this is your very first pair), move to the hunting location, choose a distant and high place and stay there.
Pick up your binoculars and start observing the wildlife which is hiding behind the bushes and trees. Don’t go near them, because again, safety should be your first priority.
Don’t worry if you have planned to hunt after sunset or early in the morning (most hunters prefer these timings). Because the brilliant colour differentiation these binoculars possess, will provide you with very sharp and contrasted imagery, and that too without any colour aberrations.
The extreme weather conditions, miss-handling of the binoculars and their usage for a long-long time, nothing will bother you during your hunting excursion.
Eye-relief distance is very crucial for hunters. Because a good enough fraction of hunters wear spectacles and almost all wear sunglasses. The hurdle these glasses wearing fellows faced in veteran binoculars is that they had to struggle in order to balance their binos and their spectacles.
- But these Nikon Monarch binoculars let you maintain a distance between your brows and the lens cup, to give your glasses some space.
- Light transmission defines the quality of final imagery, and Nikon has put the effort in this feature. Eventually, they came up with this multi-coated lens glass which enhances the light transmission and makes sure that there is no distraction in the way of light i.e. the discrepancies in prisms.
- The movable eye-cups and a large focusing knob in the centre add to the perks of these binoculars.
- They are portable binoculars, you can hang them around your neck or tie them around your arm for hours, but will not end up with strained muscles, thanks to their small size and negligible weight.
- Having a strong grip along with a precise focus, both are a must-have for hunters. You never know when you will be compelled to run for your life or run while stalking your prey.
The features of these binoculars are enormous, you will get to enjoy a huge field of view and awesome focusing at a point, simultaneously. Do not miss this chance to grab a marvellous pair of binoculars.
4. Vortex Optics Diamondback Classic Binoculars
In my opinion, most hunters already know that they should prefer roof-prism binoculars because they are easy to focus. And in case you have to collimate them, there isn’t much hassle required.
Vortex optics specializes in roof prism binoculars and these diamondback classic ones are a masterpiece from Vortex.
- Roof prism full-size 10×42 binoculars provide 10x magnification through a 42mm objective lens.
- VIP Unconditional Lifetime Warranty means Vortex Optics will fix or repair at no cost to the customer, no questions asked.
With a field of view as wide as 345ft and lens diameter of 42mm, there is nothing which can hold back the hunters in successfully shooting their prey down.
Unconditional lifetime warranty is a plus point of these binoculars, which makes Vortex Optics a good option for investing your money in. if there is any damage to your binos during your hunt, send it back to the vortex and they will repair that damage for your (even though the chances of these damages are very limited).
Easy to carry and precise, these two words define these binoculars. No matter what is your object of interest, either a frisky deer or a slow Mo polar bear, you will always be a step ahead from it in terms of planning and the hunting strategy.
Have you ever faced trouble in focusing on a point that is on an extremely close distance? Such as a plant or a tree whose leaves attract you and you want to get a close look of them. Because that’s what happens with most binoculars, they provide clear imagery of things situated at a distance but when it comes down to nearer things, they fail.
However, with a close focus distance of 5 feet, you have already found a way out of this problem. You can now enjoy the minute details and beauty of an object from a very close distance two.
Waterproofing capacity is something you must always consider while investing a good sum of money in binos. Vortex optics always makes certain that their optics are entirely water and fog proof.
Putting on rain guard lens covers is a unique way of protection which vortex did on these binoculars. When you are not using your binos and they are just hanging around your neck, close the lens covers and move freely in heavy rainfall, there is no need to put them in your backpack in order to protect them.
Looks like I have already described most features, but still, here I am going to summarize them for you:
- 42mm lens diameter
- 345 feet FOW and 10x magnification, makes a marvel when both are combined.
- Light in weight and handy in size, won’t become a burden for you.
- Rubber amour will ensure that you don’t drop them in rugged terrains and don’t lose focus either.
- Close focus distance of 5 feet, nothing less than a gift for someone who is a hunter and a nature lover at the same time.
- 100% water and fog proof, rain guard lens covers are an additional perk.
- A multi-coated prism which removes colour aberrations and the final imagery is HD and crisp clear.
- Lifetime warranty, without any conditions for the customer.
When it comes to quality, Vortex optics never seems to compromise. Inventing new products and adding new features to their existing products, their progress just never stops. If you want to make a lifetime investment in optics, then these Vortex diamondback HD binoculars are made just for you.
5. Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars
These binoculars have everything a hunter’s binos should have. Because we all know a key to successful hunting is agility and accuracy. You cannot take care of your belongings and watch out for your target at the same time.
- 10x magnification and 42mm objective lenses, the Viper HD binoculars have an advanced high density optical system with enhanced anti-reflective lens coating for stunning image quality and top tier light transmission.
- Dielectric, multi-layer prism coatings provide bright, clear, color-accurate images. Coating on roof prism models enhances resolution and contrast.
You must be continuously alert if you want to hunt down the fidgety target. These binoculars will help you in doing so, by letting you cover a wide area and allowing you to focus on tiniest details such as the small movements of your target.
These binoculars have anti-reflective lenses. Is that term new to you? Let me explain it to you then. When sunlight collides with a surface (it can be glass, water, wood or anything), some amount of it reflects back after touching the surface. The reason behind this phenomenon is that the particular surface cannot absorb the reflected light.
However, the lenses of these Vortex Optics Viper binoculars are capable of absorbing all incoming light and avoid reflection, which ultimately results in high definition imagery.
The compact rubber armour and outer body made of rubber, both add to the durability of these binoculars and ensure that they do not get damaged in rough-tough conditions.
Argon purging is one unique feature which all companies do not offer. However, these Vortex optics are entirely Argon purged. And their lens cups are sealed with rubber O-ring. Both the features define the amazing water resistance these binos have.
- Multi-layer prism coatings to remove the colour aberrations and enhance colour differentiation.
- Easily adjustable eye-cups which provide a great eye-relief distance and ease your struggle while you constantly move.
- Rubber armour and rubber coating, making these binoculars completely shock resistant.
- 10x magnification and 42mm lens size, both are well suited for hunters. One feature lets sufficient amount in and gives your very bright images, and the other enables the hunter to closely observe their target which is resting or is not moving much.
- Argon purging is one additional perk of these binoculars. Argon is lighter than nitrogen and new binoculars are being purged with argon (it is more durable).
- The lens cups are sealed with rubber O-ring so that moisture, dust, pollens or any other impurity cannot enter the delicate yet crucial parts of your binoculars i.e. the lenses.
- Extra-low dispersion glass completes the list of features your binoculars are obliged to have. They provide you with well-differentiated colours. The binos which lack in colour differentiation end up giving your eyes enough stress.
- A locking diopter is also there to double the fun of your hunting. Once you have marked the territory of your target, you can lock the focus of binoculars and can sit anywhere without missing movement of the target (this is only applicable if your target is sitting still or is moving very slowly).
As I said, Vortex never compromises on decorating their optics with medals. These award-winning binoculars should be in your wish list for sure. Or if you are ready to spend a good sum of money in a durable pair of optics, just go for these binoculars.
6. Gosky HD Roof Prism 10×42 Binoculars
If your budget for buying binoculars is limited but you still want to enjoy a good pair, then these Gosky HD binoculars are made just for you. Even if they are way cheaper than the above-described pairs, they still have some amazing features for you.
Have you ever wished to capture a far-off sight but couldn’t do it because you don’t have those very expensive camera lenses? This is a heart-breaking situation for nature and wildlife lovers.
These Gosky binoculars have come with a solution to this problem. Their mobile phone adapter allows you to capture a clear and bright picture of a very distant object such a mountain peak or a penguin you cannot go near.
- 🍀 LIGHTWEIGHT 10X42 BINOCULARS – With 10X high power magnification and 42mm objective lenses as the perfect entry-level binoculars, these lightweight binoculars (only 1.25 lbs) are great for birdwatching, wildlife & safari, football, etc. Gosky is featured in Outside and Audubon Southwest. Ideal gift for friends and family.
- 🌞 HD SUPERIOR OPTICS – With fully multi-coated lenses and a large BAK4 prism, these binoculars deliver a bright and clear view. You’ll be able to see vivid details even in low lights, at dawn or twilight.
You can set your mobile phone right in front of your lens, focus on the thing you want to click a picture of, set a timer and you are done. You can fulfil your wish to be a wildlife photographer with your phone only.
The rugged and compact design of these binoculars is one of their prime features, which is also important for a hunter. You can carry your binoculars to all the uneven and unpredictable terrains, and there is absolutely no need to worry about the safety of your binos.
The additional things which come along with binoculars are a lens cleaning microfiber piece of cloth, lens strap, a padded carrying case and lens covers. All of these are to maintain the well-being of your binos.
Adjustable eye-cups are also there to facilitate you and to give your eyes rest every once in a while, making sure that your hunting doesn’t become a constant pain for you.
Fully multi-coated lenses enhance colour differentiation and the imagery your eyes see is distinguishable and bright.
Heavy and large binos are nothing less than trouble even when you are just sitting in your balcony and watching the flying birds, let alone those dangerous and speedy hunts. Therefore these Gosky binoculars are made light in weight and small in size so that you do not have to strive while balancing them.
- 10x magnification power with 42 mm lens size and 307 feet FOW, all packed in this one pair of binos.
- Fully multi-coated lenses to diminish colour aberrations and hurdles in the way of light.
- Compact and shock resistant body
- Cell phone adapter which you can use to click images of far-off objects/animals.
- Movable eye-cups for those who use binos for long periods of time and also wear glasses.
As already described, if you have a very limited budget for binoculars then this will be your best choice. You can enjoy the perks of sophisticated binoculars by spending a very small amount of money. If you have got a small budget, then go for these binos.
The newbie hunters who are yet to buy their first pair of binoculars for hunting often face a few minds riddling questions, and look for the answers. I have picked a few questions and tried to answer them precisely, which might arise in your mind after reading this huge article.
Q.1 What should new hunters pick, roof-prism binoculars or Porro prisms?
Ans: The answer to this question is “the simpler the better”. In roof prism binoculars the light crosses in a straight line from the lenses to the eyepieces, and it is easy for you to collimate them if there is any discrepancy in the prisms. While in Porro prisms, the way of light is a bit twisted, and you will have to strive for maintaining their collimation.
Therefore if this is your first pair of binoculars I would suggest you to buy roof-prism binoculars. You can switch to Porro prisms (which happen to have better results than roof-prisms) at a later stage when you will have enough knowledge about fixing binos.
Q. 2 What is the ideal magnification for hunting binoculars?
Ans: When a pair of binoculars offers a big magnification capacity, it means the area they cover starts getting shorter. For hunters, it is necessary to get a good look of the whole area (let’s say a huge plain area) for fixing a spot for their stay. And for that, their binoculars should be able enough to cover a wide area. Therefore hunters’ focus must be on FOW instead of magnification. 8X42 binoculars are best for hunters.
Cutting the long story short, binoculars are the best gadget a hunter can get. It increases the chances of success of your hunt and protects you from many dangers by letting you stay at a distance.
That is why if you are going to spend your next summer vacations in Yellowstone national park or in Montana while aiming at the Elks, Deer, Coyote or waterfowls, buy an amazing pair of binoculars. I will personally suggest you buy Bushnell Legend Ultra binoculars. Because this pair is lightweight, water repellant and has everything which a hunter can wish for.
Are you on a budget? But still, want a pair that’s just perfect? Gosky 10 x 42 binocular should be your go-to choice. It’s cheap (under $100), affordable and works like a champ.
I am closing it right here, I think you must have made your mind as of now!
An optics enthusiast – I love bird watching as well as wildlife. Originally from South Africa, I moved to the UK at a young age. I love reviewing the latest binoculars as well as traveling. I work as a comms consultant during the day. My plan is to travel across the world so building up to that goal.
Last update on 2023-05-08 at 02:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API