All the turkey hunters out there must agree with me on the point that once you step into turkey hunting, there is nothing that can stop you from repeating this venture again in the next season.
Hunting down more gobblers (for those who don’t know, a gobbler is a term used for male turkeys) and ditching their sharp senses give the hunters an immense sense of control, and they get binged with this hectic yet interesting hunt down show.
This little guide is focused on top 5 binoculars for turkey hunting, and I have tried my best to make the newbie turkey hunters fully aware of the pros and cons of buying turkey hunting binoculars. And simultaneously, to increase the knowledge of experienced hunters about the latest pairs of hunting binos.
Undoubtedly binoculars are nothing less than a marvel for hunters, which not only protect them from various harms of stepping in close proximity of wild animals but also ensures that they are 100% successful in pointing and shooting the target.
Bear with me till the end of this article, and get answers to your queries related to hunting turkeys and buying the best-suited binoculars for turkeys.
Table of Contents
TOP 5 TURKEY HUNTING BINOCULARS
#1 Nikon 8252 ACULON Zoom Binocular (Black) – Nikon never disappoints its customers with amazing additions in its optics, like providing ergonomic design and crisp clear imagery in these binoculars.
#2 Bushnell Trophy Binocular, Roof Prism System and Focus Knob for Easy Adjustment– their camouflaged design is just according to the need of turkey hunters which will help them in maintaining stealth mode.
#3 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Roof Prism Binocular – these binoculars are lightweight, have a wide field of view and provide the user with super bright imagery, in short, they are just what turkey hunters should look for.
#4 Vortex Optics Diamondback Roof Prism Binoculars – a sleek and beautiful pair of binoculars which not only looks sophisticated but also enables you to get a quick yet detailed glance of the surroundings without any discrepancy.
#5 Upland Optics Perception HD 10x42mm Hunting Binoculars – durable and long lasting, Upland has developed these binoculars to endure any rough-tough conditions without getting harmed.
How We Shortlisted Turkey Hunting Binoculars?
Bearing in mind the technicalities of turkey hunting, you must pick the best pair from the price range you have allocated for binoculars. However, price and affordability are not only two factors to be considered before ordering binoculars.
There are many important factors which must be given a considerate thought, such as:
- Image quality
- Ease of handling
- Size and weight
- Weather resistance
- Shock resistance
All these aspects are vitally important while buying turkey hunting binoculars, and keeping them in mind let us review the top 5 turkey hunting binoculars.
Reviews of Best Turkey Hunting Binoculars
1. Nikon 8252 ACULON Binocular
These Nikon Aculon binoculars are specifically designed for hunters who love to chase the fast-moving and sharp animals/birds. And without any doubt turkeys are one of the toughest preys with great senses. The hunter must be patient and should try to be entirely stealth if he is aimed to successfully hunt the target.
And for this very reason, these Nikon Aculon binoculars allow the hunter to hide in bushes or cover himself with leaves (anything which assists him in hiding) and still be able to observe the movement pattern and intentions of the turkey group he is following.
Now a major question arises, how can someone successfully get the prey when he can’t even move? The answer lies in the hunting technique and the gear one uses. For turkey hunting, one must scout (scouting is a term used for silently observing the turkey movement and following them all day long) and then see where do they head in the night (term roosting is used for describing the birds’ silence at night).
And to precisely observe these movements, binoculars with crisp clear imagery are unavoidable. This Nikon Aculon pair offers you a multi-coated eco glass which ensures bright images and that too without leaving any strain on your eyes.
- Multi-coated eco glass which works even in low light and will provide you with amazingly bright imagery.
- A wide field of view is a must-have thing for turkey hunters, and these Aculon binoculars have brought FOW of up to 1000 yards, which is more than enough for hunters.
- Another unique thing these binoculars have is that their magnification is not confined, you can zoom at your target up to 22 times, all thanks to the 10-22x magnifying capability of these binos.
- The binoculars which are easy to carry but still perform incredibly are very difficult to find and buyers often have to visit quite a lot of sites to find the right pair. But once you will come across these beautifully designed and light in weight binoculars your search will definitely come to an end.
- The lens size in these Nikon binoculars is 50 mm, best-suited for hunting and bird watching, precisely for those who love to silently observe their surroundings.
- The movable eyecups will help you in resting your eyes i.e. when you watch through your binoculars for a long time, the image your see start distorting slightly (mainly because of the pressure your eyes bear). And these slide-able eyecups help the hunters in avoiding any eye strain or headache.
- Speaking of their shock resistance capacity, these binoculars have a rubber outer coating, which not only protects the lenses from any external damage but also play its part in maintaining their lightweight (as metallic coatings are heavier).
Similar Read: Top Binoculars to Hunt Down Elks this Summer
Binoculars which are equipped with all hunting-related features such as, bright imagery, light-weight, brilliant focus and adjustable eye-relief are not impossible to find anymore. As these Nikon Aculon binoculars have all of the above-said features and are very helpful for turkey hunters. Buying these binoculars will make you a pro turkey hunter for sure.
2. Bushnell Trophy Binocular
Camouflaged binoculars always enhance one’s hunting enthusiasm. The ability to hide in the bushes or grass is something which hunters always enjoy. And these Bushnell trophy binos are designed just according to a hunter’s desire.
However, this doesn’t mean that these binoculars are limited to a beautiful design only. The crisp clear imagery and the easy maintenance are some prime features of these binoculars. Briefly speaking, these Bushnell binoculars are the most amazingly armed with all the important features and are also affordable.
Completing your hunt for the male turkeys will surely test both your patience and your abilities. As turkeys move quite fast and have amazing senses, you must point at the exact point in order to make sure that you catch your prey (even though doing so will ward-off other turkeys, but you will still get your target).
Targeting the right turkey is crucial, as in many states/countries female turkeys are not allowed to be preyed upon, these trophy binoculars will support you to become a successful turkey hunter.
These binoculars allow you to silently observe turkeys’ patterns and their little hideouts (the places where they are found at night) without leaving the birds suspicious. The huge field of view and brilliant magnification capacity are just cherry on top.
- The lens size in these binoculars is 42 mm, which allows ample amount of light to pass through and give you very bright and well-defined imagery of the surroundings.
- The zooming/magnifying power of these binoculars is 10x, which is great in itself.
- As the binoculars which offer a wide field of view often let the user down when it comes to magnification, this is not the case with Bushnell trophy binoculars. They have a magnification capability of 10x.
- And when this magnification is combined with the FOW of 330 feet, you will get a through control over the hunting field. Being able to watch and shoot successfully will not be a problem for you with the trophy binoculars.
- The long and exhausting hunt for turkeys must be made less problematic by all means, be it the eye-relief distance or the easy to use binoculars.
- In these Bushnell trophy binoculars, eye-relief distance is 15.2 mm, which you can use to relax your eyes (but still be conscious about the movement of the target).
- Similarly, the close focus distance (which hunters use when they camouflage themselves and stay in very close proximity of the target) will also increase your thrill of the turkey hunting venture. Bushnell trophy binoculars have a close focus distance of 10 feet (3 meters).
You may also want to read:
Although this pair of binos have many things to offer you, the most important one of them is its beautiful design which will immediately grab your attention. Also, this design is not only for aesthetic purposes, but it is developed to make sure that the hunter can go completely stealth.
The ability to closely focus on the object, and being to cover a wide area with the same binoculars is something you cannot expect from an affordable pair of binoculars. But Bushnell has discarded this myth and has brought to you these amazing trophy binoculars.
3. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Binocular
Bushnell legend series binoculars are equipped with the latest and most practical features. These binoculars provide close focus distance of 6.5 feet which is the shortest in this price range (best for bird watchers). Likewise, the lens size is 42 mm, giving bright and correctly colour differentiated imagery.
The aesthetics of these binoculars are also very appealing, as they come in a camouflaged and sleek design. To read a detailed review, read here.
4. Vortex Optics Diamondback Binoculars
These binoculars will quickly grab all your attention, because of their sleek and handy design. The term “pocket binoculars” can be correctly implied on this pair, as it is very handy and will not ask you to clear extra space in your luggage.
Their fully multi-coated lenses enhance colour differentiation and the final images your eyes receive will be crystal clear. Also to survive any mishandling during the hunting expeditions, these Vortex binoculars are made entirely weather and shock resistant.
5. Upland Optics Perception HD – 10x42mm Hunting Binoculars
Upland always focuses on making its products reliable and efficient. And the Upland Optics is proof to their claim of providing the customers with quality products.
This pair is not only cost-effective but it is also effective alongside. The turkey hunters will be benefited with large lenses, HD imagery, weather resistance and a wide field of view (FOW), all gathered in this one pair.
Some Useful Tips for Turkey Hunting
#1 Identify the Gender First
This is probably the most common rule for turkey hunting, that they must identify their prey’s gender before hunting it down. Identifying their gender is not a complicated thing, as the male turkeys’ heads are colourful (mainly red and blue) and their feathers have a shine in them. While female turkeys are just plain brown from head to toe.
The other striking difference between two genders is that the males have extra growth of fur on their chest, which quite resembles with a beard.
In most parts of the world hunting down male turkeys (aged males are known as toms, and young ones are called jakes) is considered as a bigger achievement than females, basically because males are large in size and are more difficult to catch.
Apart from the sense of achievement which hunting the male turkeys give you, there are also restrictions on killing females during certain seasons. Such as in spring season (breeding time of turkeys) you will have to pay penalty for killing a female (also known as the hen). Therefore before shooting at your target, it must be your utmost priority to identify its gender.
#2 Go Completely Stealth
As I already said, turkeys have very sharp listening and are so keen-sighted that they might even feel your breath when you are around them. That is why you must make sure that you are either far away from then when you observe them, or you are completely hidden and they can’t sense your presence.
Doing so will make your hunt a success!
#3 Do Turkey Scouting
Watching turkeys’ movement and activities all day long and seeing where they stay at night is called turkey scouting. It is a favoured hobby of turkey hunters because it adds to their knowledge about their favourite bird and enables them to enjoy this activity thoroughly.
You must spend a day around turkeys before hunting them down (although you are not obligated but this is pretty much a ritual for all turkey hunters).
Hunting and trapping wildlife have always been a favourite hobby of man, and with the passage of time, new tools and devices are increasing the fun of hunting. Binoculars are always on top of the list when we talk about helping devices for hunters.
This article has covered the top 5 turkey hunting binoculars, with the hope that if you are in search of an inexpensive yet wonderful pair of binos then you will get your desired pair. If I have a say in this, then I will recommend you to go for Nikon Aculon binoculars, which are coming straight from the top-notch optics company and have all the traits a hunter would desire for.
I am closing it while wishing you good luck in your hunt for some astonishing binoculars!